This is a fixed pace and mastery learning course that requires 10 to 20 hours per week to complete in one term. A paper version of the text is not required. All you need do is purchase access to the publisher’s website at http://mathxl.com. MathXL provides students with a personalized and interactive self paced and mastery learning environment.
- Personalized and interactive multimedia learning aids include online text, videos, animations and tutorials that take you step-by-step through each problem. A self-paced study plan with set assignment due dates means you monitor your own progress and see what topics need more practice. There is even an Ask My Instructor button that will email a copy of the question you are struggling with along with your questions and comments to the instructor.
- While the materials are self paced, you will need to meet assignment due dates to complete the course in one term or less. The online classroom is available to you anytime of the day or night, 24/7. As long as you keep up with the assignment due dates, you can spend as much time as you need on each concept. To avoid late penalties, work at least three assignments ahead of the due dates. To assist you with this, I will be making the online classroom available to you before the term officially begins.
- Mastery means as soon as you demonstrate competency in one unit, you can move on to the next. Thus you can complete the course in less than one term. From Math 052 through 073, once you master one level I can move you on to the next.
Your success in this course will depend on a number of factors including your current level of math skills, your motivation, your learning rate, and how much time you can actually devote to learning math. Depending on your math background, plan on spending 10 to 20 hours per week to complete one course in a four month term. If you have not yet enrolled in the online classroom at http://mathxl.com, view the information on Gaining Access at this link. Once you have logged in, complete the steps outlined below to demonstrate mastery of each unit:
- Start with the Unit Pre-Test. Use the tutorial buttons to master each concept.
- Complete the assigned Study Plan/Quiz Me assignments.
- Write the post-test.
- Finish the unit by successfully completing the Unit Final. You need a score of 75% or better on each of the above to demonstrate mastery.
Repeat the above process for the each unit until you complete the course and are ready for the final exam. Late assignments will result in a zero grade for that assignment. Read more about late penalties here. Click on the links on this page to learn more about any of the hyperlinked topics.
The final exam is written online under invigilated or supervised conditions through an invigilator arranged by the student and approved by the instructor. More details will be found in Announcements area of the online classroom.